The Veterinary Surgeons reported the status of those horses currently under medication following the outbreak of Equine Flu some two weeks ago. In essence, the recommendation made by the Veterinary Surgeons has directed the Region to closing its racing operation until the middle of February 2004.
The first racemeeting to be held in the Western Cape is scheduled for Saturday, 14th February 2004, and for the remainder of the month, racemeetings will be confined to weekends only. This decision has been made off the information presently available and assumes that there are no further set-backs in the recovery programme of horses.
The running of the 2004 J&B Met has provisionally been set for Saturday, 3rd April 2004. This date will only be finalised once discussion has taken place with Messrs.Guinness UDV, J&Bís Representative in this country, and the Phumelela Racing and Gaming Group into whose defined racing season this date encroaches.
The Regional Board of the Western Cape is very cognisant of the fact that whilst it remains positive in placing these initiatives onto a workable programme, a Veterinary review of the well-being of the horse is paramount and will be closely monitored during the period leading up to the re-commencement of racing in the Cape.
For further information please
contact: Brian Berrill, Regional Manager : Gold Circle Western Cape -